7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 22198 times)  

I'm looking for my favorite book from when I was a child. It was about kittens from a candy shop. They all had names of candy, including peppermint, a white kitten who jumps into a tub of blue inking and then wins a ribbon at the pet show. I've been searching for years, if anyone can help me, I'd greatly appriciate the title or author. thanks!
sarah maynard

I believe you are talking about two different books. There is a tell a tale book named Peppermint, by Dorothy Grider which is about a candy store and winning a pet contest.There are 3 different versions of this story. The oldest is 1950 with just a cats'face on the cover, the next was 1966 with a kitten pictured among the candy jars with a dark background, the newest is the same photo with a light background. These versions run from 20-10 dollars.
There is a golden book Puff the Blue Kitten by Pierre Probst about a white kitten named Puff who does not share. He falls into a bucket of blue paint and plays with all...then the rain comes and they find out who he is..

I remember the one about the kitten falling into the bluing and then winning the pet store prize, but not the name. Bluing used to be used as a laundry device to change yellowed linens back to white. I think all the other kittens who had been sold first at the pet shop were at the pet show too, and the little runty kitten won because she had a pretty bow and had fallen into the bluing.

I have the book you are talking about. It is "Peppermint". Each cat has a candy name : lollipop, chocolate drop & caramel. I have it as a Tell-a-Tales book. copyright 1950.

actually the first post was correct all of those things happen in the same book and it is called Peppermint. I can't seem to find it for less than $50 anywhere...

I have one for sale...contact me at this website.

That was my favorite Little Golden Book when I was a little girl. My name is Barbara, and I had an all white kitten named Peppermint, although we never dyed her blue. Smile I gave this book to my Niece for her baby shower just a few years ago. We were asked to give a copy of our favorite book, with a picture attached in the back, so that when our niece and her husband read to the baby, they would show the picture of who provided the book, and the baby would learn to know the family. Most gave new books. I gave them my most cherished childhood memory, and it felt great. I know it is well-loved.

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1