9 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 16295 times)  

I had a Golden Book in the late 50s - early 60s called Mugsy or something with Mugsy in the title. It was about a small gray dog. I still have "mugsy" the stuffed animal dog created to match the one in the book. Can anyone help me remember more about this book?

Muggsy, The Make-Believe Puppy is the title of an elf book. it was published in 1956 and has a curly looking puppy on the cover. I do not collect elf so I can only share viewing it in a guidebook.

I also still have Mugsy - but he was practically loved to death. His tail no longer squeaks & his ears no longer stand up, as the wire is now in little clumps inside the ends of his ears.
I do remember some about the book, though I don't still have it:
Mugsy was owned by a little girl who lived in an appartment that didn't allow dogs. One night there was a fire, and everyone in her family was saved because the little girl rolled over on Mugsy in her sleep & was awakened by his squeaky tail. I think the book ended with the fireman adding "except Mugsy!" to the "no dogs allowed" sign

You guys are so great! Thanks for all the memories! I still have my Mugsy, too and I loved hearing about the book!

happy

I had the book when I was a child. I loved it so much that I always tell people the story.
I am now 57 and don't own the book or the dog ( never had it ). Please, can someone tell me where I can buy a copy of this wonderful childrens story?

I searched muggsy the make believe puppy on ebay.com and came up with one for sale. I searched that also on amazon.com and came up with 6 for sale. Just make sure you search for muggsy with two gs.....

I have two copies for sale. They can be viewed HERE.

Steve Santi
Author ofCollecting Little Golden Books & Warman's Children's Books
Collecting Little Golden Books and similiar Children's Books

We lived in an apartment with no dogs until I was 5. We moved to the country in the fall and had neighbors with brand new puppies around Christmas. We would go up and play with them all the time. Christmas morning we got the book about Muggsy under the tree. After we opened all the presents, we walked up to visit the puppies - but this time, Daddy let us bring one home! He tucked him in his jacket as we walked back in the snow and Muggsy - as of course we named him - was our dog for 14 years until I came home from college for Christmas and found him in bad shape. We let him go a few days later and buried him under the hole for the live Christmas tree we had that year. That was our Muggsy.

I know this thread is many years old now but if one of the people who said they still had the muggsy could post a picture I would sure appreciate it. I stumbled across this thread as I searched for the title of this book again. I also had only a vague memory but so glad I finally discovered. I never knew there was a plush toy it was based on. All my searching has not turned up a picture of one yet. I'm so sorry this is not about a Golden book but it's the only place I've found this type of information about this particular book. Thank You for letting me post.

hopeful
9 posts :: Page 1 of 1