6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 11860 times)  

Hello all:

I'm hoping someone can help me out as I don't know much about Little Golden Books but am trying to educate myself as I search for a gift for a family member.

The first 12 Little Golden Books are a fond memory for the person I'm trying to find the gift for. She had a first run of them all when she was a little girl. I've been able to purchase a first edition of the Poky Little Puppy, but I'd like to get more of them as her 61st birthday approaches.

My question: I've seen a "box set" (for lack of a better term) in different places called: 50 Years of Little Golden Books 1942-1992: A Commemorative Set of the First Twelve Little Golden Books". It appears that there is a traditional box set as well as a limited edition that came in a blue slip cover instead of a box and that it was first published in 1992.

Can anyone tell me any more about this set? Is there a limited edition and a "standard" edition? Is the set still being published if I just wanted to buy it new? How many different versions of the set are out there floating around?

I think a first edition or a limited edition would be a great gift, but I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for when I call book stores or look online. Additionally, I'm not really sure what type of price is fair for something like this, as I've seen prices for different versions starting at around $25 and going all the way up to $400.

Any information about this set would be greatly appreciated by someone who is fumbling around in the dark a bit on the subject.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

There are three different versions,

The limited edition, had only 2,500 copies and was ordered to be produced by the president of the company at that time. He then gave them out top clients and friends of the company a few were left over and sold through one of there distributors. These books have dust jackets and color stained edges just like the originals. Slip case box

The second set released also for the 50th anniversary where the same 42 page books without the jackets and with gold foil spines.

The third set was like the 2nd but with a slipcase box. No DJ, No stained edges, and the books had foil spines. Sold through QVC shopping network.

If you'd like to see the limited edition set, you can see it here.
http://www.thesantis.com/khxc/ccp0-prodshow/88888887.html

The QVC boxed set can be seen here:
http://www.thesantis.com/Boxed_Sets/boxed_sets.htm

Steve Santi
Author ofCollecting Little Golden Books & Warman's Children's Books
Collecting Little Golden Books and similiar Children's Books

Steve,

Thanks so much for this information. I doubt I could have found it on my own.

Any idea what the right price is to pay for any of these sets?

Thanks again,

Dave

I get $150 for the limited edition set. If you can find the other sets they probably sell for $25 - $40. The books that were in the other sets can normally be purchased for 25 cents to $3.00 individually.

Steve Santi

Steve,

Thanks again. You're a lifesaver.

One final question for you: you mentioned that you normally get $150 for a limited edition set, which I'm assuming means you are a seller. Do you know of a good seller that might have any of the versions of this set?

I'm finding different sets all over the place with little information. If you had a moment to point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

The two sets that i have for sale can be seen here.
http://www.thesantis.com/khxc/

Steve Santi

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1