6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 13462 times)  

Hello all,

I'm trying to track down another golden book I have vague memories of.. the plot involved an old retired fireman who lived at a firehouse and took care of an old fire truck parked out back. The rest of the fire crew and the new trucks all go out on a call, and another alarm comes in, and he and the old truck go out and save the house themselves. I believe the fire was in the basement?

I think the older firefighter may have been illustrated as an elderly black man in the pictures, but I'm not sure?

Ironically, my copy of the book was lost in the Oakland Hills fire years ago. Now that I have a 5 month old I'm on a hunt to find all the books I have positive childhood memories of to share with her... but I can't remember this one's name. I don't think it's the "Five little firemen" or "the fire engine book" that keep coming up in my search results so far.

I'm hoping folks here can help -- other threads already helped me find Tibor Gergely's Great Big Book of Bedtime Stories, the red cover vault of childhood memories and bedtime stories I've been looking for!!

Your book is a Rand McNally Elf Book.
Title: Number 9 The Little Fire Engine
You can see a picture on my website.
http://www.thesantis.com/khxc/ccp0-prodshow/99102655.html

Steve Santi
Author ofCollecting Little Golden Books & Warman's Children's Books
Collecting Little Golden Books and similiar Children's Books

Another possibility - Hercules by Hardie Gramatky (best known for Little Toot). The plot is very similar. It's not a little golden book, though.

cheerful

Action rqeueris knowledge, and now I can act!

giggly

The book is called "The Bravest of All" - Golden Book 402 by Pogue

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1