4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 5457 times)  

Hello, and Good Morning!
I have been trying to find a copy of this book on-line to learn as to it's history, value (if any) and collectibility. From what I've learned this evening, the history is fairly straightforward, but I cannot find an identical one to compare it with. There should be a marking or edition on this particular book, but it doesn't seem to have one. The book I have is "poor" condition, so would it still be considered "collectible"? I can't find a single example by photo or "Exact" description..
Here's my questions, and I appreciate any responses at all:
1) If the "Books Are Fun To Read" series by Simon and Schuster published some LGB books without any edition markings on them, do they still have any collectibility? Value? Everything I have read tonight says that these books should have an edition letter somewhere on them, but this one does not. I can't even find a sample of one with the same cover on-line.
2) Am I interpreting the condition correctly? I'll attempt an upload of some images below (I know you can't tell just by two images, but am I even in the ballpark?).
3) Does anyone know of a photo of another of these exact books on-line?
4) This is a Little Golden Book from the description on the inside, but why don't collector's add them to their collections of LGB's? Are they not considered LGB's?
Thanks in advance to anyone who could offer some advice or assistance.
Monster

Update on Little Black Sambo - Found a small "H" on last page hidden close to inside of the spine.

I have about 11 'books are fun' covers in my collection. They come in many different colors but all with the ribbon on the cover.I am always looking for more but do not pay big bucks because I would rather have a colorful cover in an 'A' edition. The book is still collectible especially because it is Little Black Sambo. I think your poor condition is right on mark becasue the outside of the book is not very good. Are the pages in good shape and all there? It is just like the regular golden book. Only the cover is different.

Quote by: goldhunt

I have about 11 'books are fun' covers in my collection. They come in many different colors but all with the ribbon on the cover.I am always looking for more but do not pay big bucks because I would rather have a colorful cover in an 'A' edition. The book is still collectible especially because it is Little Black Sambo. I think your poor condition is right on mark becasue the outside of the book is not very good. Are the pages in good shape and all there? It is just like the regular golden book. Only the cover is different.

Thank you for answering me so quickly. I appreciate your taking the time to share your knowledge. I'm very pleased that I'm not too far off base on "condition", as I have a few crates of books I have to evaluate and there's a lot to learn! To answer your question, I would say that the pages are poor to fair. Not as bad as the spine, but the book was well loved and read many times, as it should be. The first and last pages are a little dirty but the rest seem mostly clean. The Illustrations look surprisingly fresh. There's a small tear about 1/2" long at the bottom of the first three pages pages, and on the page that Sambo gave his trousers up to the tiger, some helpful little rascal obviously started to make sure that he was "anatomically correct", but didn't quite know how to draw it. Smile Unfortunately, it is in pen, but very light and not quickly noticed. Also, the school where this book was used stamped the school name twice each on the inside front and back covers and once on one page in thge middle of the story (5 stamps in all), The usual school library card jacket is glued to the inside back cover and there's a few libary filing codes written in pencil on the inside front and back covers. Lastly, the word "DISCARD" is also written on the inside front cover and second blank page. Obviously, the school was careful to leave the illustrated pages alone (except for the one stamp on the middle page).
All the pages are there I believe. I read the story and the storyline is perfect. Not sure exactly how they are counted, so, There is one blank sheet at the beginning and end of book and 14 Illustrated sheets (both sides - 28 total illustrated pages).
Have you ever seen an image of one of these banner books somewhere on-line? I still am unable to find a sample.

Thanks again for your help!
Take care.
Monster

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1