13 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Likes:
  (Read 32762 times)  

I am looking for a book that has the phrase or title "What do Daddys do all day...Daddys work while children play...

I am not familiar with the story but there was a book called Daddies, it is number 187. I am not sure of the author either

I have the book. It is called "Daddies All About the Work They Do" Are you interested in purchasing the book?

There is only one book with the line you quote. It is #187 and titled "Daddies.'It was published in 1953. The book Fran told you about titled 'Daddies All About the Work they Do' was published in 1996. The first page is quoted as'What do daddies do all day? they go to work to earn their pay. " The artwork was updated as was the text to reflect the 90's way of living. It has a very different take on life than the first book.

For many years, I have been looking for a book that has a nursery rhyme in it entitled "Daddies". The first line of the poem went, "What do daddies do all day? Daddies work, while children play." I used to read it to my little girl in 1973 (she was 1 year old) when her daddy was in the Marine Corps stationed in Japan, in an effort to help her to know who daddy was. My mother gave her that book in 1972 when she was born. I'm not sure of the title on the cover of the book or the publication date. I think the book was red, with animals in an orchestra on the front cover. I believe it was a Golden Book, and that it was a rather thick book with lots of stories and rhymes. I'm going strictly by memory, so my details may not be accurate. My daughter and I have been looking for this book for years and we cannot find it, probably because our memories are not so good. Our book was lost during a move years ago. I would love to surprise her with it this Christmas, and for her to be able to give it to her first child when that day comes. Please help me find it! Thank you.

cheerful

The book I found has a one page poem of the words from the little golden book 'Daddies.' It begins with the line you remember. The title of the book is 'A Treasury of Little Golden Books.' 48 Best-Loved Stories selected by Ellen Lewis Buell. The cover is a darker pink with a circle of golden book characters including boy with the big horn( orchestra??). It was published in 1972.
There are many treasurys of little golden books and only this one includes that poem. There is a paperback with a similar cover and only 30 stories, there is a blue covered book, there is another with only 30 stories. When searching ebay or amazon you need the 1972 edition with 48 stories. This info would sort out all the rest.

I am also looking for this book. I had it in 1972 as a two year old and it was a little golden book on it's own written in 1953. I want the old version (not the later updated one) as it is such a cool reflection of that time. 'What do daddies do all day? Daddies work while children play'. It had every traditional male role in the book.

rockin

I appreciate all the comments about the book. I used to read this poem to my girls all the time in the 1970's. And, yes, my husband was in the Air Force. I guess it was important for them to know Daddy would go to work and come home. I was a stay at home Mom until both girls were in school. I have a friend who is having a book baby shower and I'd like to pass this book on to her, if I can find it.

I am also looking for the original version of the Daddies book #187. If anyone has one to sell please email me.

cheerful

The one-page "Daddies" poem also appears in the "Treasury of Little Golden Books: 48 Best-Loved Stories selected by Ellen Lewis Buell" LGB anthology that has an earlier copyright date of 1963 (Third Printing). The cover has a white background with flowers and butterflies along the bottom and the words" LITTLE GOLDEN BOOKS" formed out of twigs and branches.

13 posts :: Page 1 of 2