7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 7820 times)  

I was told by a seller this is a Little Golden Book. It must date from the 50s, no later than early 60s. It is the size and pagination of a golden book or elf etc. There is a MIRROR in the back of the book. The entire book is about what little girls and boys can become in life. The boys have a variety of professions, the girls are nurses, teachers, mommies. I can't remember any more about it than at the end you see yourself in the mirror as sort of 'this is who you are" kind of thing. Since I have been searching for this book for centuries, I'm assuming I've made the entire thing up in my fevered brain. But on the off chance it really exists, I'm hoping someone will put me out of my misery with a title and publisher. Thank you.

This title is a Treasure Book (similar to a Little Golden Book)
Title: What Are You Looking At?
Author: George Bonsall
copyright: 1954

A lot of times when you find this book it will be missing the mirror on the last page.

-Steve

Steve Santi
Author ofCollecting Little Golden Books & Warman's Children's Books
Collecting Little Golden Books and similiar Children's Books

Steve!!!! You are a God! You have no idea how many years and how much time and how many people have been involved in this search. And bam! You've got it!! A million trillion thanks. Whew, I'm not actually delusional!
I will now hound bookfinder and ebay and find that darn book. Watch, you'll be right about the mirror, and I'll never find with one, unless it costs a first born child--it will need to be someone elses, as I've no kids, and too old to have any now!

Again, Steve, thanks again, really.
Best,
Diane

Steve, Hello again. The quest never ends! Now I've found the book, however, it is published by Wonder books, Jan. 1954 and it doesn't include a mirror, never did.

But the one I need does have the mirror and has the same artwork. Why is this, and how can I tell the difference in listings if the seller doesn't specify which publisher?

I've already inquired at amazon about the book, but neither of the sellers have the Treasure edition.

Out of curiosity, if you have time and don't mind giving away trade secrets--why did two different publishers produced the same book the same year?

Thanks again for your time.
Best,
Diane

The Treasure Book edition was printed some years prior to the Wonder Book edition. the 1954 is when the story and or art were copyrighted and does not necessarily mean a book is printed. A Book can have a 1942 copyright and was printed in 1985. Around 10 or so of the Treasure Books titles were later printed as Wonder Book titles. The Wonder book never did have the mirror, only the Treasure Book edition did. -Steve

Steve Santi

Steve, thanks again! I understand about copyright date not being publishing date-I dealt in first edition crime fiction for many years, but the Golden/Wonder/Treasure books are out of my league, as it were.

So Wonder books was the reprint company? For example--Doubleday Crime Club books are the first published, but even in the same year a reprint publisher such as Grosset and Dunlap would put out their own cheaper copy of the book.

Is that what Treasure books and Wonder books are? Or they of the same publishing company, just different publishing houses?

You website is wonderful, and I've discovered other lost in my memory treasures.

I'm heartbroken you don't have What Are You Looking At, lol.

Again, many thanks for all your help.
Best,
Diane

Wonder and Treasure books were two different companies printing different titles, Until around 1957 when Wonder Books must have either purchased or obtained some of the book rights to Treasure Books.

Steve Santi

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1