7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 10548 times)  

I recently purchased The Big Golden Book of Elves and Fairies and I'm having a hard time determining if it's a first edition or not. Does anyone have any idea on how to date this book?

If the title is "The Big Golden Book of Elves and Fairies" It can not be a first edition. On the inside front cover, bottom left you should see a letter and some numbers. ex. F 195195. This tells you it's a 6th printing and that the book sold for $1.95.
The first title of this book was "The Giant Book of Elves and Fairies" and the most recent title was "The Golden Book of Elves and Fairies".

Steve Santi
Author ofCollecting Little Golden Books & Warman's Children's Books
Collecting Little Golden Books and similiar Children's Books

Hi Steve and thanks for your reply. Yes mine says F 195195...so do you know when the 6th printing was done and what the current value of this book might be?

I believe the F edition is a first for your title/cover.

Steve Santi

As I do more and more research on this book, i wind up with more questions than answers.

About my book:

Cover Title: The Big Golden Book of Elves and Fairies
Cover description: Many Elves and Fairies flying around on top of Dragon Flies, mushrooms and Bees. Light green cover, with dark green border. Bottom right corner says "Goldencraft Binding"
First page with printed words says "Elves and Fairies" Next page is a forest scene with F195195
Next page:title page: "The Giant Golden Book of Elves and Fairies..... Golden Press New York
Next page Acknowledgements and 1951 Copyright. Published by Golden Press Inc, New York
Back Cover: Dark green (like the border on the front) A Golden Book Goldencraft Binding in center and lower left 61067.339
Spine: The Big Golden Book of Elves and Fairies Golden Press

Comparison books I am seeing on line have more of a yellow tone to the cover, no border and are published by Simon and Schuster.

ANy Thoughts?

A Golden Craft edition means it was produced for libraries and schools. Value for this binding is normally less then same book in it's normal binding/ cover.

Steve Santi

Thanks again Steve. Yes I see now that these goldencraft bindings were made for school and libraries, and at times are valued less, but other times are valued more because they are very limited. I see someone has listed one that appears to be like mine for $225 which is probably high, but in looking all over the internet I find this book to be very rare.

I guess I will hold off giving it to my grand-daughter until she is old enough to respect it.

If anyone else has anything to add to this inquiry, please do so. I would love to learn more.

Again...thanks Steve. You've been very helpful!

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1