3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 4497 times)  

Not long ago, I found one Little Golden Book that actually has a dust jacket. I hadn't even known they were ever issued that way. Now, I'm curious to know how many were issued in dust jackets, including when they started and when and why (if anyone knows) they stopped. I only discovered this wonderful website while sitting in the local Library using one of their computers (mine died several years ago, and I'm not about to purchase another), and I'm ashamed to admit I don't have the title of my book on the top of my mind. I have been buying/collecting illustrated children's books--late 1800's to contemporary--for at least 55 years, primarily to purchase, although I enjoy having them before they go to new homes. I've discovered that one of my best sources for LGBs of any type and title is the monthly book sale the Friends of my local Library holds to raise funds. Was always more interested in the 'serious' illustrated children's books and pretty much ignored the LGBs until just the last few years. I started with my early favorites (we're talking 1940's, folks) like The Poky Little Puppy. but eventually realized that so many of the LGBs over the years had been illustrated by some of the best-known and best-loved artists in print. My other pet category--for both children and adults--are pop-up books. Has LGB ever published any of those?

curious

Most of the first 35 titles were made with blue bindings and dust jackets. They can be 24 pages as they were shortened during the war but most have 42 pages. None of the little golden book size are pop ups.

Thanks for your response. As I recall, the one I have with the dust jacket is something about 'wild animals' and is the only one I've ever seen with the jacket.
Is there a substantial difference in value for the jacketed ones? Mine has quite a number of tears and missing bits, but it's now in a mylar sleeve, so no more
damage, at least. I'll check at home tonight for the exact title and the date; my recollection is that I have other early 40's titles, but no jackets. Will have to
check them all for edition letters in addition to the copyright dates.

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1