14 posts :: Page 2 of 2
By: Likes:

THE POKEY LITTLE PUPPY, WAS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE TITLE!

mellow

Lets get the list lol. Hush, Hush, Its Sleepytime(Wish I Could Find)...The Animal Quiz Book...Toads and Diamonds (it was in a book with two other stories)... The Very Best Home for Me(I think thats the title)...The Monster at the end of this Book...The Childrens Zoo...The Saggy, Baggy, Elephant...Rupert, The Rinocerous(spelling?)...

sleepy

My favorite Little Golden Book was The Twins. I can't find it anywhere. I have a copy (old and not too good of condition) around my house somewhere, but don't know where. I am a twin, and work at a school where there are 3 sets of twins in the class, and one set reminds me so much of the girls in The Twins book--identical; different hair cuts. I loved brownies when I was a kid, and the book tells about an older lady baking brownies and the girls (one of them, anyway) getting brownies from the lady. Wish I could find this book!

Since you asked--we had SO many, plus a few Wonder Books; my MUCH older brother was born in 1942, the same year LGB's were "born", and we must have had quite a few first editions. I also had a sister born in 1946, then I came along in 1950 and finally, my baby sister, barely 12 months later. By the time the two of us were being read to from the books, some had lost their covers but all the stories were intact, and our mom continued buying LGB's. My little sister and I loved to spread them out all around us as we took turns reading to each other; it made us feel positively RICH in our beloved little books! Sad to relate, but when we reached our teens, our mom gave all the books to charity.

So when I was expecting my first child in 1973, I began a mission to find all my old favorites, and continued building the collection until my youngest, born in 1988, was a teen. Of course, I would never let the collection be given away; just waited for grandkids; so far there are three, who also love these stories and have good collections of their own.

Forgive my rambling please; back to the question: tough to pick out one! The Poky Little Puppy, Scuffy the Tugboat, Fix it Please, (I LOVED pictures by Eloise Wilkin, Corinne Malvern, Tibor Gergely, before I ever knew their names!), Hi Ho! Three in a Row, Mrs. Ticklefeather, Color Kittens, Guess Who Lives Here, 5 Little Firemen, Linda and Her Little Sister! I have found copies of all these except Hi Ho! 3 in a Row. We also loved the Disney movie books, but nowadays I own all the Disney movies I want--it was a special treat in my childhood to see a Disney movie, maybe a few times a year, so the books meant more then. Hope I don't sound like a heretic! I loved to share the less-commercialized stories and characters with my five kids, and now again with my two little granddaughters and 7-month-old grandson. Just doing my bit to help raise the next generation of readers!

nana/mama

Chatty
mellow
14 posts :: Page 2 of 2