21 posts :: Page 2 of 3
By: Likes:

Kind63

The book you mentioned is the one I've been looking for.....it was my brother's favorite....my Dad hated the book because it was read in our house so often. I think your memory is excellent....that's how I remembered the story.

I have a turtle in a box, under my bed, in the corner of my room, in my house with trees all around it! And all the animals and all people passing by would never know that in my house in the corner of my room under my bed in a box I GOT A TURTLE!! Died from cancer 12 years age left my huband Mark and 2 year old Kateri, and my Masters in english lit and my job with Scott Forsman and all my brothers and all my friends would never know that love never stops. And my brother Russ would never know that the book i make him read over and over when I was three and he was ten would come to mind at 52, and warm his heart with joy and tears. so long after all these years. Thanks for helping my feel these memories, and hear again the words of a little sister. love, Russ.Smile

thoughtful

Thank you again, Kind63, lgbsteve, and everyone! I just purchased the book A Whitman Tiny-Tot Tale "I Have a Turtle" by Kathy Bing and illustrated by R. J. Davidson. I got a huuuuuge kick out of reading it and seeing the pictures again. Funny how small it is in my hand forty years later. And all this time I was remembering the turtle to be in a shoebox ... it is, indeed, a hatbox. Thank you for being great resources in, finally, bringing my search to an end. Big Grin

Did anyone ever find this book? I was also born in 66 and this was my favorite book growing up. My dad can still recite most of the book after reading it to me so much. I now have a 10 month old daughter I would love to share this book with. Any help in tracking down a copy new or used would be greatly appreciated.

Happy 2011 to everyone!

excited

Will B., I was able to track down a copy on eBay shortly after my last post. I would suggest trying there. The copy I bought looks brand new. It now has a special place on my bookcase, and I still reread it from time to time. Brings back memories of sitting on the edge of the bed while my mother read it to me. Good luck!!Razz

happy

The turtle book is Myrtle Turtle by Diane Sherman. 1961 Rand McNally Junior Elf Book. I've never forgotten that book and couldn't understand why real turtle didn't have long eyelashes too. The website for Gasoline Alley Antiques, www.gasolinealley.com, has a picture of the cover.

This is my favorite book!!! Unfortunately i mailed it to an ex and he was supposed to mail it back...but its like, little do they know that under my bed, in a hat box, "I have a turtle!!" its the best book in the world!

cheerful

happy

happy

Ah, I loved this book as a kid!

I have a turtle. In my mother's hatbox. Under my bed. In the corner of my room. In my house. Surrounded by trees. with all the people passing by. I have a turtle.

For more info:
http://www.bookclubunbound.com/favourite-books/i-have-a-turtle/

21 posts :: Page 2 of 3