4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 4814 times)  

Hi, I just stumbled across this website. It's great! I have been buying and reselling Little Golden Books for a little while. I have read the FAQs but I still have a couple of questions about determining what edition (or is printing the correct term?) a book is. If the copyright date on a newer book matches the Roman Numeral but there is no "A", is it still a first edition? For example, I have a Lion King, copyright 1994 with the Roman Numeral MCMXCIV. Is it a first printing even though there is no "A"? How many printings are there generally in the same year? Also, someone told me that some "G" editions can actually be first printings, because they are old titles printed with new covers or illustrations. Is that correct? For example, I have a 1985 copyright copy of The Friendly Bunny, "G" edition. It says on the title page that it was originally published under the name The Scarebunny. The copyright for the author is for her estate, meaning she was dead in 1985 when it was printed. But the illustrations are copyright 1985 by Kathy Wilburn. So she did them in 1985? Is this a first printing of an old book with a new title and new illustrations? If so, is it worth anything? I have actually been selling my books on Ebay and was using information from the Santis website to determine edition until someone else who uses Ebay emailed me to tell me I had (accidently) misrepresented a Pocohantas book because I said it was an "A" edition, which I thought meant the same thing as "First Edition". Now I just don't guess at edition unless I can see the letter! I have a 1977 The Animals' Christmas, and I cannot see a letter anywhere! Any ideas? The price on the cover is 49 cents. Anyway, thanks for any help! Sincerely, Rachel

1) You must ignore copyrights in golden books! 2) You are correct in assuming a 'G' can be a first edition because the book was brought out under a different number or the cover changed, etc. 3)The 49 cent books are unique as many of them do not have an 'A' in the back cover to denote first edition. We call it an unstated first edition. 4) An 'A' book is the same as a first edtion . I have found no exceptions to that rule.

Thanks so much! He told me that there was no A edition for Pocohantas because a LGB employee forgot to put it so there's no way to determine which are actually first editions. I was assuming it was a first edition because the copyright/Roman Numeral matched.

There was a recent edition, I'm not sure if it was Pochantas, that had no A first edition as it was forgotten.

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1