3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 3856 times)  

I believe that the book I read as a child in the 50's was a Little Golden Book but can't recall the title. The subject pertained to helping others. Two book characters were asked by a house to please sweep me, and asked by a lawn to please weed me. One character chose to help and the other did not, and of course the one that did the good deeds was rewarded. Can antone id this book for me? Thanks. JW

I don't think this was a golden book. The story is called "Mother Holly" and I had it in my storybook as a girl too. The sisters go down a well after a spindle and they're asked to do a variety of tasks, like removing bread from the oven, clearing a stream, etc. They then come to a house and meet "Mother Holly" (mother nature) who tells them that if they'll take a year of service with her, she'll reward them at the end. The good (beautiful, of course) girl does well, i.e. shakes the bedding thoroughly so snow falls in the world, etc. The horrible sister shirks her tasks. The good girl gets a shower of golden coins at the end - the bad a shower of pitch.

Thank you for your reply. The book you describe is definitely similar in theme, but different in specific content. The story I recall included two children (boys?) being asked at least two favors, one by a lawn to weed me, and one by a house to sweep me. Perhaps the stories are different versions by the same author or publisher. And you are correct that I may be recalling a book other than a Little Golden Book. Thanks again. JW

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1