2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 3301 times)  

My daughter starting collecting books and since we have limited book shelves, I allowed her to collect golden books only. So I have been picking them up at yard sales, etc. Although, when I tried to sort them on the shelves I have noticed that they are numbered strangely. I have two copies of "I cant wait until Christmas", one is number 456-12, and the other 456-10. Also, some books dont have a number, slash, then another number. Why are the books numbered this way.
I also tried to sort them by date, but many of the books only show a publishing date? and not the date of the printing. I am very confused. Some one told me to look at the letters printed in the book, but I have no idea what they mean.
Please help
Thanks!

By: Likes:

The best way to shelve golden books is by title alphabetically.
The first golden books were numbered in the corner...600 but then they went back and gave the number to another book so this doesn't work for shelving. The 5 digit numbers you asked about have no rhyme or reason to the numbering.....so it doesn't work well either.
The date in the book is usually copyright date and doesn't change.
The letter someone refered to is the edition number in older books that can be found near the spine on the bottom of the page inside the back cover. 'A' is first and so on.

2 posts :: Page 1 of 1